RE: IML: '67 LeBaron update

D^2,

Let me admit first and foremost here, I'm a hot rodder.  I'm not sure, but
I'm probably classified one step above derby guys on this list.  However, I
don't throw myself in with the same crowds as the clapped out Camaro guys.
I actually do my homework well in advance of making changes.

I have the utmost respect for both the engineering that went into the cars,
and for full stock restorations.  However, I'm not looking for a stock
restoration in my garage.  I'd probably make some exceptions to that before
my time it up, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

There have been advances in automotive technology since the mid '60's (going
from Budd calipers to Bendix is one example).  If some of that technology
can be applied to my older cars, in a reasonable manner, I'll do it.  The
key being reasonable.

Yes, a balanced braking system is key to good stopping.  I have used
adjustable proportioning valves in the past with excellent results.  I have
also driven stock disk braked cars that would lock the rear wheels at the
drop of a hat.  They were fully functioning brake systems too.

The car will sit for at least the winter without being driven, and probably
for a couple weeks at a time in the good weather.  I have several other
Mopars in the stable that I take to shows and cruise nights.

If I can make the car safer (i.e. reduced stopping distance), and more
enjoyable to drive at the same time, I'll do it.  I don't know what the
roads are like by you, but up here people are nuts.

For the record, I won't run bias plys on the car, or to the other extreme,
manhole sided wheels and rubber band tires either.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron