143mph? (was Re: IML: Tune Up Edelbrock v. AFB)

143mph? (was Re: IML: Tune Up Edelbrock v. AFB)

With stock 440, 2.76 highway gears and stock torqueflite you can do 143 at
a hair over 5000rpm -- formula is approx 28mph per 1000rpm.  Not entirely
outside the realm of possibility.  There's a guy in Maine who put a
Gearvendors overdrive behind his 440/727 combo, and he claims to do 190 in
a 1966 Chrysler 300 -- close enough to an Imperial for me.  Granted he did
a few other things -- extra leaf springs, thicker sway bar and torsion bar,
etc, but still.  What he did not do is weight reduction.

A properly built 440 at 6200rpm, 3.55 gears and an O/D unit behind the
transmission will move a 5000 lb. Imperial at about 200mph.  Just gotta
find the right tires.

-- David
'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 Newport 383-4bbl dual exhaust .030 over Eddys/B&M/Cragars in memory of
my daughter Rebecca
'70 New Yorker 4dr FOR SALE $1600