Re: IML: Tune Up Edelbrock v. AFB

I must be a huge sissy! I don't even like the thought of 103 in my 63 Imp let alone 143! Time to take my courage pills I suppose...........alex

Christopher Hoffman wrote:
Was 143 a typo? I doubt a '68 Imperial would do 143 mph without some major
modification (and a fair portion of insanity on the part of all aboard). I
imagine the engine could not overcome the aerodynamic drag of the body, and
that would be a good thing since the rear-axle lift at that speed would
probably cause uncontrollable fishtailing or at least dangerous instability.

I know D^2 likes to drive fast, but not even he'd go that fast in a 40yo
Imperial (I hope)! I've spent some time on Germany's Autobahns, so I know
what 143 (or 155) feels like. I've even done 145 in a diesel-powered sedan.
But each time I was in a modern German car (and a couple of MB prototypes)
with excellent aerodynamics and modern chassis designs.

So please tell us how fast you were really going, assuming that was a typo
(or how you measured 143)! It gives me renewed respect for the Thermoquad
(which can't seem to get my NYB up to highway speed the way my '67's Carter
AFB can).

Safe motoring and happy thanksgiving to all!