Re: IML: 1956 Imperial Choke setting

Tim, have you checked for air flow through the heat tube which is pressed in the top side of the right side exhaust manifold?

 I have a choke stove attached to the exterior of the manifold on my car. When I broke the connector tube (heat tube to thermostatic coil housing) off the heat tube while trying to remove it from the manifold I found that the entire heat tube as well as two-thirds of the connector tube was packed solid with carbon from the exhaust. Lacking the will to take off the manifold I installed a choke stove and a new connector tube and left the heat tube in place. I'm now assured that I have air flow to the coil housing.

I'm getting ready to check the vacuum available at the choke housing. One of the Service Reference Books indicates that the vacuum should pull 7 to 9 inches HG. If it's not at least 7" (choke butterfly held open) check the coil housing gasket.

The vacuum is necessary for proper operation of the choke pull off piston (brass) in the thermostatic coil housing and to bring heated air from the manifold to bear on the thermostatic coil spring.

If all of this is in order and the brass piston, choke butterfly, etc.are free,  the FSM says to align the center index mark (on the carburetor) with the index mark on the plastic housing.
Right now I'm running on the lean side of that.

The other issue to address is the adjustment of the fast idle screw relative to the fast idle cam. I'm running approx. 1000 rpm with engine fully warmed up and screw engaging the high side of the cam (transmission in neutral of course). Off cam I'm running approx. 475rpm.

I'm also interested in what the rest of the list has to say.

Gary Kitterman
'56 C-73 "Babe"