RE: IML: 1968 Check Gauges light/Oil Pressure

RE: IML: 1968 Check Gauges light/Oil Pressure

'70.? Why would these be considered the wrong oils? Is it just because this

car is worn?

I don’t have a manual from a'70, but what you say surprises me.?

10W30 is very thin oil, especially for a car with 35 years of use on it.?? I use SAE30W in all my old cars, but my choice is somewhat influenced by where I live.? Our temps almost never go below 32 degrees, and SAE30W was the recommended oil for that environment, even when the cars were new.? A more worn engine requires heavier oil to maintain proper oil pressure.? See what the factory says about this - - -

The following is quoted verbatim from the 1972 FSM (the capital letters are theirs, not mine!):? "IMPORTANT:? If the vehicle is to be used for maximum performance service (very high speed or very rapid acceleration), the engine requires heavier than normal lubricating oil.? This is due to the high speed, loads, and temperature of moving parts developed in these engines during this type of operation. "FOR BEST PROTECTION OF THE ENGINE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS, THE HEAVIEST AVAILABLE ENGINE OIL OF SD OR SE QUALITY SHOULD BE USED THAT WILL PERMIT SATISFACTORY COLD STARTING. [these are obsolete quality ratings, today we would say SJ or SI] ?

SAE 30 AND SAE 40 ARE RECOMMENDED [then it goes on to discuss multigrade oils, which are also permitted, if 20W40 or 20W50 is used, with a special "high performance" additive (STP?).

For many years, some car manufacturers, and most heavy equipment manufacturers advised against using multigrade oils (the viscosity index improvers are not lubricants - My understanding of the reason is that they are simply thickening agents, so when the lubricant is under great stress (high temp, high loads), the coefficient of friction is higher than with straight weight oils.? I also have some antique heavy equipment (dozer, backhoe, skiploader etc), and those manuals are very emphatic about it.

In my modern cars, I don’t agree with the recommended 5W30 oil either.? I believe the car manufacturers specify very thin oil in an attempt to satisfy the CAFÉ requirements - they don't give a hoot how long the engines last, as long as they go beyond the warranty period.? I switch to 10W30 after the first oil change - and when the cars get older, I'll probably go to a still heavier oil. I do use multigrade in the new cars, because I know they were designed to tolerate it better.

Enough of my biased opinions - suit yourselves, guys.

Dick.