Re: IML: unlimited supply of idiots

Yes, the issue was tuning.  Also, the 440 had more torque at the low end, so in
order to get the throttle response the same, you would have to use a lower rear
ratio (say a 3.23) meaning more noise.  Also, the 426 was never an endurance
engine, so it was unknown how well it would take long mileage driving.  This is
one of the reasons the police cars never got a hemi.

The 426 hemi was really a detuned race engine, whereas the 440 (HP or non) was a
reliable engine with lots of power.  In the HP form, it is probably (almost
certainly) the most powerful mass produced engine of the period.

D^2