Re: IML: unlimited supply of idiots

D^2, Rob P;
 I don't think that the tuning issues were exclusive to the 426 Hemi.
Multiple carbed engines were always tricky to set up and the engines so
equipped were high maintenance whether they were race engines or not. If you
take a look back before then very few engines were offered with more then a
four barrel from the factory and those that were usually had dual quads. The
earliest production engine that I can think of that offered something other
then dual quads was the 57' Olds which had a six pack as an option, and that
wasn't offered for long.
  I think that the main issue with those engines was probably the noise
factor, and the fact that they take off rather violently on acceleration for
a refined luxury car. Reliability wouldn't be an issue in that they were
based around a modified 413 block, a very durable engine in itself, if the
Hemi were equiped with a single four barrel carb. In fact most of the mods
made were in terms of beefing it up to such an extent, with cross bolted
bearing caps, special crank, and the like, that even abusive street use
wouldn't come close to hurting it.
 I would imagine, back in the late sixties, if someone had the money, and
knew which palms to grease, that a dealer could come up with an Imperial
equiped with a 426 Hemi.
However given the mature age, and social standing of most Imperial buyers,
and the fact that the street Hemi was a marketable option aimed at the
younger set; I think that it is highly unlikely that there was ever one so
equiped.
Who would order a 6000 pound car with a race engine anyway?
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side tailight bezel and other trim parts

Yes, the issue was tuning.  Also, the 440 had more torque at the low end, so
in
order to get the throttle response the same, you would have to use a lower
rear
ratio (say a 3.23) meaning more noise.  Also, the 426 was never an endurance
engine, so it was unknown how well it would take long mileage driving.  This
is
one of the reasons the police cars never got a hemi.

The 426 hemi was really a detuned race engine, whereas the 440 (HP or non)
was a
reliable engine with lots of power.  In the HP form, it is probably (almost
certainly) the most powerful mass produced engine of the period.

D^2

Quoting Rob P <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I for one love those "TOY" cars.  Still, it's a shame to part out what
> appears to be a solid car.  As for the 426 Hemi, I thought tuning
> difficulties were more likely to keep it out of the Imperial.  The torque
> figures were similar to the wedge and the better heads probably helped
more
> up in the rev range where Imperial drivers were/are less likely to tread.
> D2 excepted.
>
> The dual 4bbls were tougher to tune and so was the 6 pack.  That's how the
> dealer talked my Dad out of a Hemi on the 'cuda that I still have.  I
figure

> your average Imperial owner wouldn't want to tinker with the carbs.  What
> Imperials came with multiple carbs?
>
> Oh, and when did the 440 stop using nylon timing gears?  I remember
Pontiacs