IML: 426 Hemi

The 426 Hemi was designed for higher RPM use, and was also an expensive
engine to produce.  In street form, they were known for high oil consumption
(even with the oils of the '60's!), a bit cantankerous in their street
manors, and the pre-70 motors used solid lifter cams.

The forged pistons would allow the oil consumption until the motor was fully
warmed up.  The intake valves were 2.25", and the ports were a straight shot
at the back of that valve.  I think the valve size is more in line with the
exhaust diameter of an Imperial!

The 426 Street Hemi was intended to allow the motor's use in competition
form.  They are a fine motor, but not what I would consider to use for an
Imperial, at least in stock form.

In street trim, a well tuned 440 would beat a Hemi light to light.  The Hemi
needs to wind up to make its power, the 440 is a torquer.  The 440 6-pack
motors were the best of both worlds.  That would have been more at home in
an Imperial.  It was optional in the '70 Sport Fury GT.

As for the noise, other than the solid lifter clatter, a stock 426 Street
Hemi running full factory exhaust is a fairly quiet car.

Now, if money were no object, I'd consider a 472-526" stroker version of the
426 for use in a modified Imperial.  Maybe one like that motorless '68
LeBaron that started this thread.  Many other things would have to be done
to make it work properly.  Custom motor mounts, exhaust (including headers),
possibly relocating the master cylinder so the valve cover can be removed
easily, etc.  I would top it off with a reproduction '66-68 "Chrome Dome"
(non fresh air, air cleaner assembly).

For me, I think a triple black '69 2-door (was the LeBaron available as a
2-door in '69?) would be the best choice for such a monster.  That
combination would just look the most sinister.

For now, I'll just concentrate on getting my '67 roadworthy.

Rob McCall, Hot Rodder at large
'67 LeBaron