Re: IML: Sure-grip rear end, Gear Ratios & Towing

Re: IML: Sure-grip rear end, Gear Ratios & Towing

As far as I know, the 68 towing package includes a stengthened hinge assembly,
so that the load is evenly distributed on the rear unit body structure, and a
heavy duty transmission cooler that resides where the AC condenser normally
does (that's why there was no AC avialable for a towing package 68 Imperial).
The ratio remained the same at 2.94 though.  I think the stock small duration
cam 440 will have no problems handling large loads with the stock 2.94 ratio
and that huge transmission cooler.

I do not know if in 63 there was an available 3.23 ratio or you had to special
order it.  There is a road test of a 61 though (on the site somewhere) from Car
Life with a 3.23 (which shows good acceleration improvement, as expected).

D^2

Quoting FltSgt@xxxxxxx: