Re: IML: Sure-grip rear end, Gear Ratios & Towing

Re: IML: Sure-grip rear end, Gear Ratios & Towing

Hola

The information that I quoted was from the '67 Towing Brochure.  It may be
true of the A/C delete when the tow pkg was ordered later on.  I have a friend
who has a 1971 two door ____ III with the factory towing pkg.  His vehicle has
the 440, 3:23, OEM load-equalizing hitch, extra trans cooler with factory
steel lines from the bottom of the radiator to the cooler and no A/C.

On part of the 67 brochure it has a drawing and specs for the local towing
shop to make up the hitch since it was accepted to have a hitch that was not
part of the MoPar system.

When I purchased the 63 Le Baron it had a shop made load-equalizing hitch on
it.  I would also say the 3:23 sure-grip rear axle was an option over the STD
2:94.  The axle info is in the 63 FSM, but it does not say about which vehicle
it may be on.  The vehicle also has a shop installed transmission cooler on
it.

Our 66 Le Baron has the STD everything rear axle assembly with the HD spg
option ( due to rear A/C ) and a shop made load-equalizing hitch.  The heaviest
load I have pulled is the 63 Le Baron ( on a tow dolly ).  The lightest load is
the 27'  Air Stream.

Understanding the engineer's have understated the load ability of the
Imperial to have a safe margin I would say the Imperial could tow up to an additional
2000 pounds on what ever year you may have.  ( For those of you who have
limited trailer info take in mind that trailers over the size used to carry lawn
mowers and the such have a reguired brake system that is part of the trailer (
This system is somewhat like the holding of the seat belts in that it
free-wheels until you stop hard ).  The next level of trailer has an electrical
activated system from the tow vehicle.  The big boyz have the air brake system which
our Imperials do not have. )

I understand that some members have no interest in pulling anything with
their Imperials so this information is possibly unwanted.  Some members may never
pull with their Imperial but want this information just for the sake of
knowing and bragging.  And I do know that some other members do have a vintage Air
Stream like us to pull around.

                                       Rodger & Gabby
                                       Colo Spgs

'47 De Soto Custom w/Fluid Drive & passenger door mounted swamp cooler
'63 Le Baron w/F-Sweep trunk lid & std A/C
'66 Le Baron w/dual A/C & reverbed AM/FM
'70 Overlander - InterNational
'77 D150 w/360, NP 4 Spd, 12 Bolt Axle, OEM Buckets & etc