IML: Valve Cover Gaskets

Hi Joe,
I think I know of what u speak. I couldn't figure the extra washers/grommets either. They seemed too big to put on the top of the valve cover lip, they certainly don't fit under the valve cover. I ended up tossing them.

Here is a pasting of my previous repost on the subject, incase it was missed:

A note about the valve cover gaskets. I've found that a wire brush on my
drill and some solvent will easily remove the old gasket material stuck on
the inside lip of the valve covers. When clean, the area around the bolt
holes are invariably distorted, so I press down the metal of the lip around
the mounting holes in my vice to flatten it so its a flat fit to the head
mating surface.
When flat, I spread sealant on the valve cover inside lip and set in
position a gasket and let the sealant set-up over night. I do this as I've
often seen where the gasket will buckle and lose it's seal when torqued
down. When it's let to set-up, the sealant cements the gasket in the correct
position and holds it that way when torquing down the hold down nuts. I coat
the bottom side of the gasket w/sealant and mount to the head and torque to
spec. This has solved many of my
valve-cover-gasket-replacements-that-still-leaked situations. Oh, I forgot
to squeeze in the part about the wire brushing the loose paint off and
priming and painting with the correct color. It's gotta look like you've
been doing some real work, afterall.

Eric
Portland, Oregon