Re: [FWDLK] Hidden / Secret Numbers

Numbers on '55 Plymouth frames:

The hidden VIN on Detroit-built '55 Plymouths is stamped on the top of the
drivers side frame rail roughly under the drivers seat.  The body needs to
be off the frame to see these numbers.  Note that all convertibles were
built at the Detroit plant.

Cars built at the Evansville plant apparently do not have the VIN in the
same place. I have one such car with the body off and have yet to find the
VIN anywhere on the frame.

The engine number (P26-_____ or P27-_____) can be found on the outside of
the drivers side frame rail just behind the rear axle. These numbers can be
difficult to read since they are usually not stamped very deeply.  A wire
brush and a flashlight may help.

The date of manufacture of the frame can be found quite easily.  Take a look
under the rear bumper for numbers stamped (upside down) on either side of
the hole in the centre of the rear crossmember.  For example ?11?(hole) ?28?
means the frame was manufactured on 28-Nov-54.  Again, cars built at the
Evansville plant may not have these markings.

Robert