Re: [FWDLK] 1960 DeSoto Engine Color

Hi All,
   I agree with a number of you... you never know how exactly things came from
the factory.  Ideally, I think they had specific paint schemes, but were
probably hard pressed to make everything come together just right before the
car was shipped.  I do know that you cannot depend on color schemes shown in
advertising brochures, as these are most generally printed long before
production starts, from photographs of pre-production vehicles.
   Also, although the extent of my first hand experience starts in the early
70's, bear in mind that we are dealing with vehicles built by the Corporation
that we all know and love.  As dearly as we hold the Corporation, they have
had their share of labor difficulties and quality problems.  I think we'll all
agree that the engineering is second to none, but sometimes by the time the
cars get produced...
   I've seen cars with refuse under the seats and in the doors... saw a
Challenger come off the haulaway with a Barracuda front clip... cars with
major pieces missing (or extras!), major drivetrain noises or leaks, an Aspen
with both Aspen and Volare badging... I could go on for pages...  the fact is
that as the cars come down the line, if there are no engines the proper color,
it's highly unlikely that anyone would stop the line until one can be trucked
up or repainted... as long as the engine contains the proper components
(correct horsepower, etc), it probably went in the car.
   I have a colleage who was an engineer at Chrysler Powertrain back in the
50's and 60's.  He is returning from sick leave next week, and I'll ask him
who we could contact to verify the "correct" colors.
   I would also like to mention how much I am enjoying the discussions within
the FLML group.  I thought I knew alot about Chrysler vehicles, but learn
something new every day!
   Might also suggest contacting the Chrysler Historical Society... would they
have this information?

Thanks again,
Steve