[FWDLK] It's Worth Big $$ 'cuz It's OLD

kne303b@xxxxxxxx (k n e) wrote on Saturday November 21, 1998 at
12:09pm:

>Anyhow, there is a '65 Chrysler New Yorker or maybe an Imp
>near my house, I've never gone up close to it but you can see it
>from the road. About ten years ago, when I noticed that it was going
>into year two of sitting in the same spot, I pulled in while hauling
hay
>one day and asked if  it was for sale. The guy was real nice, but
told
>me no, it was his father in law's, he was gonna fix it up, and the
whole
>interior had just been re-done. Well it's ten years later, still
sitting
>in
>the same spot, and now for the last three years I can see that one
rear
>window has been rolled down.
>
>I fear to stop again, because I know that in their minds the interior
is
>probably "brand new", and I'm sure that everyone they know who know
>nothing about old cars has told them for 12 years that it must be
worth
>$20,000 dollars because it is a "classic". "oh yeah man, don't let
anyone
>try to steal it off you cheap, those old cars are worth a lot of
money."

At least the owner in my story, despite some real problems with
appropriate storage procedures, wasn't too far out of line on price...

A couple of years ago, I looked at a '60 DeSoto Fireflite in Ocampo,
California (near Lodi in the San Joaquin Valley).  It was a
non-running Fireflite 4-door sedan, 361, Powerflite, body painted
Scheib White but didn't look as bad as some I've seen.  He was asking
$800.

I was horrified to see that the driver's window had been left open for
what I am sure was an extended period of time, and that the instrument
panel and dash trim was as badly weathered as the rest of the
interior.

He went on to volunteer, "I had to leave that window open, 'cuz the
outside handle don't work".  (FYI, the outside handle on the RF door
worked just fine...)

Mike Sealey
Go Figure....