[FWDLK] Weak Springs???

Here my story,
    My 55 Plymouth hood had a little trouble keeping up so I just thought
I'd need the "Prop".   So off to the car shows I'd go and open the hood
and prop the thing up.  Kinda looked tacky with the rest of the car
looking good heres this mop handle holding the hood up.  Well at a meet
in Carlile with the NCPC club this fellow in a 55 Newport was next to me
and he just could not stand seeing that "Prop" holding the hood up.  He
said that when the judges come he would take the prop out and get it
staying up.  Well he did and it did not fall.  I could just see a judge
sticking his head under my hood to look at the engine compartment and the
darn hood dropping on him.  It was my first time at this club meet.  I
ended up taking 2nd place in my class.
    Now lets get on with it.  A 54 Chev owner I know was looking my car
over at another car show and he spotted that where the lower spring
attaches that it was bent back toward the fire wall. and sure enough it
was.  So one nite after I put my NOS door mount mirror on the door, I
decided to remove the spring from the lower mount and give it a hit with
a 1 1/4"  wooden dowel.  I put a towel on the fender so the dowel would
not rub and came from behind over the mirror and down under the end of
the hood to the bracket.  Got the dowel lined up on the bent metal
bracket and took the BIG hammer and went to walloping it.   It was coming
my way when I thought I ought to give it one more smack.  Hit the dowel
off center a bit and ricocheted off the NOS mirror loosening it from the
door.  I fortunately had bought 2 mirrors and quickly exchanged it.  I
got the spring back on the metal bracket and the hood stays up just fine.
 It never did stick up like the rest of yours did.  NOTE:  if you are
going to try this,  hit the dowel in the center at all times!!!!!!!!!!
Probably a little too lengthy but if it is in you, you just have to get
it out!!!

Jack     55 Plymouth        1 more vote for the FORWARD-LOOK.COM

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]