Re: [FWDLK] POWERFLITE HELP NEEDED

Dave Stragand wrote:

> Tim Heilman wrote:
>
> > I know that the '56 Plymouth's Powerflight Auto-Tranny is supposed to use
 Type
> > A fluid. Mine is desperatly low on fluid and I dont recall Pep Boys selling
> > Type A. Is there an aftermarket fluid that can be used in conjunction with
 an
> > additive to allow use? Does this hurt the transmission at all? Please
 help!!!

> Car Collector had an article about trans fluid in May.  It seems
> that Type A fluid is actually its own unique type, of which I have
> never seen for sale anywhere, although I believe Paul Holmgren
> found somewhere in Illinois at a small garage, and they may make
> us up some special.
>
> Type F fluid will give a Type A trans harsher shifts, as it adds more
> friction (actually the F is for "friction" not "Ford"). Dexron/Mercon
> will give a Type A trans softer shifts, as it reduces friction.  The
> article claims that neither one will hurt a Type A trans.
>
> So, if you want smoother shifts, use Dexron/Mercon.  If you want more
> of a performance feel, use Type F.  Neither is "correct", but neither
> will hurt the trans.
>
> I checked with several rebuilders, including Aamco, and none
> have seen Type A for sale in the last 25 years.  The general
> consensus is that any Dexron/Mercon fluid, with a thingy of
> anti-foaming agent (available at any GM parts counter), is the best
> substitute for Type A.
>
> -Dave

Type A transmission fluid was sold at Hi/Lo auto parts stores up until 3 or 4
 years
ago when I did my transmission oil change.  I still had a couple of quarts
 leftover
just recently,  but I have not seen it ever since.  I use Dexron/Mercon on my
 '55
and have not noticed a bit of difference in the shifting. I use it because I
 can't
find Type A anymore. Dexron/Mercon, I think, is  a multipurpose transmission
 fluid
and works well for older transmissions.
Jesus