[FWDLK] Fwd: A Plymouth By Any Other Name: Export Chryslers,

[FWDLK] Fwd: A Plymouth By Any Other Name: Export Chryslers, DeSotos and Dodges

I sent this work in progress to Robert Whitman, in answer to his question about
 export DeSotos.  He liked it enough that he suggested that I pass it on to the
 rest of the list, which I guess was all the encouragement I needed.

 ---- Robert Whitman wrote:
> Hi, Mike:
> WOW!  A lot of great information, I noticed you did not send this to
> the rest of the mailing list, you should.  I am sure others would love
> to learn from your research.  Plus, I bet a few of them may have
> additional info to assist you since many of them are in Canada or
> Overseas.  Thanks a lot!, Robert

P. S.: This chart covers the basics, but there are some exceptions.  For
 example, Crestline's "The Dodge Story" shows both a '56 Regent (Savoy) and '56
 Mayfair (Belvedere) with Belvedere Sportone trim installed.  I seem to recall
 the implication that the '56 Regent was equivalent to a Belvedere 6, while the
 '56 Mayfair was the V-8 version of the same car.

Dodge-badged cars appear to have used Plymouth front clips with Dodge emblems
 and grilles until '51, which
*appears from the illustration* to be a Dodge front clip grafted onto a Plymouth
 body.  '51-'54 actually could probably have gone either way.  '55-'59 was
 definitely a Dodge front clip on the Plymouth body.

Diplomats kept the Plymouth front clip with DeSoto grillwork until '57, when the
 introduction of the Dodge-based DeSoto Firesweep finally created a DeSoto front
 clip which would fit the Plymouth body.  This continued through '59, when the
 Firesweep got front fenders which looked more like those of the senior DeSotos.
  '59 is therefore the only year where Diplomats and senior DeSotos shared the
 same frontal appearance...

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com