[FWDLK] HEI ignitions

Here is a collection of posts and info I have gleaned regarding installation
of MSD/breakerless ignition in a 56  277 v8 Mopar---

Bottom line, I found one must have a steady 50 amps current in order to power
the hi energy control module!  In my case that means going to an alternator
for my 56 Plymouth, and changing the regulator if my alt is not of the
internally regulated kind.
Between the distributor and module for about $120 at discount, the alternator
cost, dealing with the wiring harness needed and the installation of the
alternator, I decided to live with the burble and sometimes ruff idle.

Sounds like it will be impossible to 'inexpensively' add aftermarket
MSD/breakerless distrib to my 56 Plymouth 277 V8 with a 30 a generator- the
MSD needing 60 amp output plus good voltage regulation.

They do recommend using a newer style voltage regulator with the MP ignition
kit.  So, an alternator would be a good upgrade, too-so get the later 3
connector style that works with the normal electronic regulator.  Of couse you
will need to use the right harness with the amplifier and dual resistor.  But,
this applies to 60s vintage cars as well as 50s vintage.

When I put a 318 in a 47 plymouth, I just used all the stock wiring from the
77 dodge that the engine came out of.  You should be able to do something
similar...

Check The new Mopar Performance catalog.  Mopar Performance reccommends
converting charging system to the late model type.  The Kit is available from
anyone who sells mopar performance parts.  The manuals states that :  ALL cars
using the 1969 or earlier  two wire charging system MUST use regulator
P3690732 when using the chrysler magnetic impulse ignition (Electronic
ingnition)
This regulator ia a solid state device and holds a constant regulation of
approxamately 14 volts which does not fall off with temperature as does the
production regulator.  The distributor kit # for the small block is P3690426.
The kit comes with a new vacum advance distributor, wiring harness, orange
electronic control unitm ballast resistor, and complete installation
instructions.
It should help idling problems and other related distributor problems.  I
believe the MP distributor has a slight recurve kit that is alredy installed.
I have installed quite a few over the years and in does show a marked
improvement over point type distributors and some improvement over oem stock
electrinic type.
The cost of $118.00 is about right from some speed shops.  Sometimes you can
find them cheaper.  I have seen them for as little as $95.00.  Hard to find at
these prices but somtime do go onsale.....  Summit racing has it for $118.39
and the regulator for $18.69.  The number for Summit is (216) 630-0200.  I
have had very good sevice from this company. They ship COD and take credit
cards.

Watch out for competition advance curves vs. street...

A call to mopor performance says the aforementioned distributor is only for
the 'llater'
318 blocks but measurements of my 277's distributor show no difference between
it and the Mopar Performance breakerless one.

Lars

Note I have had excellent luck with Summit Racing- Items I have purchased
include mini fuel pressure guage installed at the carb, 5" dia. speedo with
trip odo, and other odds and ends.  Fast service,  competitive prices.