[FWDLK] Hood Spring Paint

All,

I was shown a method to paint hood springs by someone at the Chrysler
Classic in Columbus, Ohio. He made a rectangular jig from angle iron and
put an eye bolt through a hole in each end. The rectangle is a little
longer than the spring and eyes of the eyebolts. He hooks each end of the
spring in the eyebolts and tightens the nuts on the ends of the bolts to
open the coils of the spring. They do not have to open too far to let a
thin coat of paint in. No primer or thick coat of paint as the spring will
flex enough to crack the paint off. When dry, loosen the nuts and install.

I was told in some instances (not all) that the color of some springs may
tell about the amount of tension the spring will provide. BTW the springs
on all of my 1958 Plymouths are a red to redish brown. Also, what color are
the throttle return springs and the anti-rattle spring on the manifold?

While on the subject of paint colors, have any of you been noting any of
the painted on or grease pencil inspection marks that are on any of parts
of your cars? I have bought several low milage cars and other parts cars
that have not been overly molested in the passing 40 years and have found
several painted and grease pencil markings that were applied at the factory
by various inspectors. Common items that have markings are: electrical
connections to the generator and starter, master cylinder, battery
connections, axle, spare tire rim, paint inspection rubber stamping (not
all plants), engine and transmissions in different spots to name a few. The
muscle car guys have Galen G. to tell them where all of this is but we are
on our own. Make notes/photos/drawings/tracings of any marks and colors
that you find on your cars as you work on them. We will have to build up
our own data base for this part of our hobby.

Larry Stanley
peerless@xxxxxxxxxxx