[FWDLK] 56 Plymouth tech problem

Hello all,
      Here we go: '56 4-door Savoy, inline 6, 2 speed powerflite, power
steering. Okay, car takes a little coaxing to start, but then runs okay in
neutral. A little lope, but not bad. I back out of driveway, drive down the
street. Approx. 5 houses down, car sputters and dies. Then is hard to start,
and when I do it runs for about 10 sec. in neutral and cuts out. Had a clear
fuel filter, and right after it was dead, filter was empty, slowly filling up.
Took off gas tank and cleaned out 'suck tube'. Replaced fuel filter. Still
dying. Took off fuel pump: Gasket (thin rubber 'half-filled-in' circle) had a
small tear in it over the portion that is supposed to be full of air. Made new
gasket, put fuel pump back on. Idled even better. Still died. Out of ideas.
Please help.
                                           Sad, 16, and borrowing the minivan.
--- Tim 56 Savoy