Re: [FWDLK] gas tank problem

If there is evidence that your tank is leaking from anywhere, you should get
it fixed immediately.  It may only be leaking from the area where the filler
tube mates with the tank, but you may also have a rust situation in the tank
itself.  Either way, pull the tank (remove gas first) and inspect with a
flashlight.  If it is rusty inside, discard it and get a new one.  The fuel
tank is the same for all 57-59 Plymouths and Dodges (except wagons).  I've
seen two varieties, but they both have the same part number, so they should
be interchangeable.  Once you've located a new one, or if the tank looks
shiny inside, dry it out, then coat it with gas tank sealer, like the stuff
available from Bill Hirsh.  I've used this and it's great.  When
reinstalling the filler tube, be sure that the notch is pointing straight
up, since this is used to vent air out of the tank as it is being filled
with gas. BTW, there is a drainage plug in the bottom of the tank.  DO NOT
try to remove this plug.  If you do, you'll never be able to reattach it,
since the seal inside is dried out and brittle.  These plugs also have a
tendancy to leak.  When I had my tank out, I removed the plug and had the
hole soldered shut by a radiator repair shop.  Good Luck !

Ron