[FWDLK] New or repro gas tank - 56 Plym

I have a real bad fuel tank rust problem in my 56 Savoy.  As a temporary
measure I removed the tank, used a power washer inside and out, then
took a bunch of white gravel pebbles from the lawn put them in the tank
(removed the sending unit first) shook it around real good while
flushing it with the hose for about 1/2 hour.  I can at least get gas to
the carb now to move it around the driveway. This will do until I come
up with a permanent solution.

I have found a place that can clean and treat the inside with a rust
preventative, but it costs about $175, for that kind of money I figure I
can probably get a new tank.  I have struck out looking on the net and
all the guys that inhabit the local swap meets and shows. Any ideas
where I can get a new or repro tank, Or what model years may be close
enough to fit in the stock location?
Thanks
Scott

>From owner-l-forwardlook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sun Feb 21 14:54:38 1999
>Date:         Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:05:34 -0500
>Sender:       Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
<L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>From:         Ron Waters <Ronbo97@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject:      Re: [FWDLK] gas tank problem
>To:           L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>If there is evidence that your tank is leaking from anywhere, you
should get
>it fixed immediately.  It may only be leaking from the area where the
filler
>tube mates with the tank, but you may also have a rust situation in the
tank
>itself.  Either way, pull the tank (remove gas first) and inspect with
>flashlight.  If it is rusty inside, discard it and get a new one.  The
fuel
>tank is the same for all 57-59 Plymouths and Dodges (except wagons).
I've
>seen two varieties, but they both have the same part number, so they
should
>be interchangeable.  Once you've located a new one, or if the tank
looks
>shiny inside, dry it out, then coat it with gas tank sealer, like the
stuff
>available from Bill Hirsh.  I've used this and it's great.  When
>reinstalling the filler tube, be sure that the notch is pointing
straight
>up, since this is used to vent air out of the tank as it is being
filled
>with gas. BTW, there is a drainage plug in the bottom of the tank.  DO
NOT