[FWDLK] History of Forward Look Logo

Hello List,

It occurred to me that something I haven't heard discussed on this list
is the origin and history of the Forward Look name and logo. Here is what
I have heard about its creation:

At the 1995 National DeSoto Club convention several former DeSoto
corporate employees were invited to speak to the membership and answer
questions. A gentleman who directed some of the marketing said the name
"Forward Look" was suggested by Virgil Exner and that the famous
double-boomerang logo was designed by Chrysler Corporation's advertising
agency. I also spoke to a club member who said she had original artwork
of the logo dated sometime before the 1955 models were officially
introduced in the fall of 1954. She believed the illustration came from
Chrysler styling.

Has anyone hear of the history and parentage of this icon of 1950s design?

All I know is that it was a powerful image, both visually and verbally.
Out of all the car company slogans and images of the 1950s, it is the one
that grabbed my seven-year-old imagination and has never really let go.

Certainly Chrysler was not the only company of this period to use a delta
wing shape as its corporate indentity. Motorola still uses two arrow
shapes side by side to imply the letter M. And don't forget that NASA
uses a boomerang shape as part of its logo. But Chrysler seems to have
made the most of this prototypical image of the Jet Age.

Any thoughts?

Bruce
1960 DeSoto Fireflite