[FWDLK] Brakes and Starting

Please forgive me, I am "mechanically challenged" need some advice!

The parking brake works fine on my car (I assume this is because it is
mechanical, not fluid driven).  The pedal goes straight to the floor with no
resistance.  The brake fluid reservoir was empty, so I filled it (should I
go to the top of the reservoir, or about halfway which is to the top of the
post that the lid screw goes into?).  I was hoping that pumping the brake
pedal would flow fluid and I would see a leak.  Problem is that nothing
seems to happen at all.  No fluid movement or bubbles in the reservoir.  I
checked the next day and did not see any evidence of brake fluid leak.  Can
anyone give me a list of steps I should take to try to figure out the
problem, or does this point to something specific?

The other main problem is that the car has to be jumped to get it started.
It usually starts right up with the other vehicle idling, yesterday I had to
have my son rev the truck constantly while I tried to get it to turn over.
The car runs great once it is started.  If you try to restart after it has
been running, it is darn near dead.  Won't even turn over once.  After the
brakes work, I plan to take it in for a load test to see if they can
determine where the problem is.  The one caveat to this is that sometimes
when you try to start it, the starter 'whines' and grinds slightly without
turning over the engine.  You have to release the key and then retry, it
will usually turn the engine over on the second try.  Can this type of
starter problem cause an electrical drain that could prevent the battery
from holding a charge and make jump starting hard, or is it completely
unrelated.

Thanks in advance.

See ya,  Joe.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5768
99 GMC Sierra K1500 SLE Z71 4x4 Ext Cab Shortbed 5.3L Blue/Pewter.
55 Plymouth Belvedere 2dr Club Coupe V8 Auto Red/Black Sport Tone.
http://www.infopage.com/plymouth/