[FWDLK] Brakes and engine overheating

Hello all.
Here's a brake question for you's (can you tell I'm from Jersey ?)
. My car is a 56 Plymouth, manual brakes.
I drove it last week and the brakes felt low and mushy.
So Sunday, I pulled the top off the master cylinder and it was pretty much
empty.
So I filled it back up. Checked the lines and fitting, no leaks. Did the
"major brake adjustmet" adjusting the shoes closer to the drum, then I bled
all 6 wheel cylinders and took the car out driving around town for a couple
of days. I still see no leaks at the fittings. I didn't take the wheels of
to check the cylinders. The pedal does not sink.

Could the shoes being so far out of adjustment on all four wheel make the
wheel cylinders expand enough to suck all the fluid out of that tiny master
cylinder.
When I bled the brakes, I didn't get any air out of the lines.

On another note, i will start working on my running warm at an idle problem
next week.
One person suggested first I check to see that the car is actually running
warm.
With the guage at 3/4 towards max, the collant temp (by sticking a
thermometer in the radiator" was 200 degrees. So I think it's safe to assume
that when the guage it at max, the car is overheating. The first thing I'm
going to do is attempt to remove the thermostat.

Thanks,
Nick