Re: [FWDLK] latch help!

Todd -

        I also had a problem with the door latch mechanism for my 58 Belvedere
2dr HT.  Apparently, a rivet that holds the thing together had busted
years ago.  One of the owners of this car tried to repair it with a
screw, which held for about a month, then it would pop out and render
the door useless until I removed the door panel and went through the
procedure of replacing the screw, etc.
        I finally got frustrated and went to the parts book.  Seems that
Chrysler used the same part on many of the late 50s Mopars.  I replaced
the entire star wheel and lock mechanism with one that was in a spare
driver's door I had for my 59 Dodge.  I cleaned the grease and gook off
this part and then relubed it with a silicon grease I had.  Then I
installed it into the 58 Ply door.  It works PERFECTLY.  The door locks
and unlocks smoothly.  It also opens and closes like a new car.
        Hope this helps!

Ron Waters

PS - Need a perfect (no cracks) center headliner piece for my 58 2dr HT.
Also need a NAGS 451 windshield in Solex or Solex/shaded.  Must be like
new.  This is the windshield for 2dr and 4dr Hardtops, 57 All except
Imperial, and 58 Ply only.