Re: [FWDLK] the list

At 06:55 PM 4/28/98 -0700, Paul Holmgren wrote:
>Asecert1 wrote:
>
>> Hi,being new to the list,and just beginning a resto on a 1960 Dodge Seneca,im
>> planning to use the original 318 "Y" or big block,as i hear it refered to,and
>> was
>> wanting some opinions from those who know about this motor,were they a good
>> motor compared to the later 318?, im sure ill use the one i have because its
>> stock
>> but i know very little about how they were regarded as far as
>> power/torque/dependability,

I don't really have much info on dependability...as for torque/power, the
ratings for the 1960 Dodge 318 polyhead, and the 1968 Dodge 318 wedge are
the same.  The two motors are actually share some parts, the block is the
same, the crank is the same, the pistons are different, the cam is
different, and the heads and manifolds are very different.  Either one will
work fine, the later version (introduced in 67 in the US, 68 in Canada) is
easier and less expensive to find parts for.

The "Y" or "wide" block myth is something I don't understand...I've heard
the same thing, I've heard the polysphere head 318 called a big block, and
it just isn't so.  The only thing big about it is the heads.  The block is
small.

Jim
Jim Forbes                                    jforbes@xxxxxxxxxxxx