[FWDLK] best rust fix

I finally crawled into my trunk to check out the rear window leak. I
discovered that the underside of the package tray and area is covered in
surface rust from years of having a window leak. Everything from the trunk
lid hinges forward is covered in surface rust. Has anyone had this with
their Foreward look car? What is the best way to treat it? I'd use something
like POR but the fumes would likely kill me working in that area. Hand
sanding will take me forever and I don't think I can reach all the affected
areas. Is there a good product in an areosol that coats rust as well as POR?
 Thanks
    Todd