[FWDLK] Heat won't shut off?

  The heat won't shut down completly on my 61 Imperial.  Last summer I drove
around with a hot foot.  I really want to fix this before the summer gets hot.
I checked the cable from the control lever and it is attached.  I can see it
move something located behind the glove box.  (what is that?) the control
valve itself is located on the engine side of the firewall right?  I noticed
there are two vacuum actuators under the dash.  The one toward the passenger
side moves.  The one toward the center of the car didn't move at all.  It
looks like this one just lets in outside air by moving a large door. Any
Ideas?  I'm not sure what the problem is.
                                                                   Frank G