Re: [FWDLK] parts book - copying

Oh!, that's a trademark issue.  If Chrysler doesn't work deligently to
protect its trademarks, e.g.,
"Mopar" & "Chrysler," they could lose their exclusive rights in the
trademark(s).  The economic loss would be in the tremendous
name-recognition and "good-will" that Chrysler has built over several
decades.  (Could be valued in the $billions.)  Copyright is different.
Patents are also quite distinct and a third form of intellectual property.

With trademarks, the touchstone is whether a consumer would be confused or
deceived as to the commercial source of the goods.  So "aftermarket sources
of restoration parts with Mopar markings on them" would be a REAL HOT
BUTTON that Chrysler absolutely should jump on quick.  But photocopying old
parts manuals is altogether different.  Also, no danger of adverse market
effects, because the documents are obsolete and on obsolete products.

Richard Main
attorney-at-law