[FWDLK] 301 Motor questions

In the last year, I've acquired two 57 Belvederes, both with the
higher performance version of the 301 cu. in. motor (4bbl, dual exhaust).
The one that runs and drives has plenty of get-up-and-go, even though
it's behind a 2-speed automatic. I'm planning to take the torqueflite
out of the other one, which is really why I bought that one.
But I've run into a number of Mopar guys who tell me to junk
the 301 and put in a 318. One said that the crank in the 301
was "soft," compared to the 318 that immediately followed,
and that this leads to problems. Another said that overhaul costs
for a 301 are way higher. Do any of you have better information
or opinion on this motor? I like to keep my cars original, especially
when it comes to motors, but I admit I really thought that the line
began with the 318 until I found these 301s, so I don't know about them.

Let me know