Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 11 Jun 1998 to 12 Jun 1998

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 11 Jun 1998 to 12 Jun 1998

<< power steering unit leaks
 Does anyone have any experience replacing the main power steering unit?  My
 '57 DeSoto Firedome has a leak in the upper unit.  Right now the fluid is
 leaking out of the vent hole in the upper housing, indication an internal
 leak.  What about just plugging off the vent hole so the fluid doesn't leak
out?  >>

I dont know what the unit looks like, when U say leakig out upper housing VENT
HOLE  vent holes are usually above the fluid level to bleed off excess
pressure or fluid.  If U have fluid coming out a VENT HOLE it means U have a
problem, perhaps with foaming caused by a mechanical malfunction???
Plug the hole?????????  If we were age 16 and this was our first car we might
plug the hole.  Being older and wiser today we realize the hole is there for a
reason and know fluid coming out means we have to diagnose the problem.
Anyone able to volunteer a shop manual??????  Or a Motors manual that covers
the '57?  (just dont copy it, tho U may be able to copy the part dealing with
only power steering malfunction for personal use..?)
Rotsa Ruck
Lars
My 61 Motors manual shows t3 views of the unit.  Unable to find the vent but U
R talking vent on the master cylinder not on the power unit?  If so sounds
like a lot of pressure is being built up where it is not supposed to be?  Time
a new unit???