[FWDLK] Field Trip to the Indy Brickyard, Anybody?

[FWDLK] Field Trip to the Indy Brickyard, Anybody?

Two years ago last month, my late friend Crazy George and I made our
traditional stopover at the Indy museum on the way home from the Street
Machine Nationals in Illinois.  To our surprise, a club was out on the
track, running their cars, having their pictures taken, etc.

In the 1970's, participants at the Street Machines (then held at Indy)
were likewise able to circle the track, etc., but it was my
understanding that the general public was banned in the early 1980's
(for insurance reasons or something equally depressing).  So, I asked at
the office and was told that, yes, bona fide auto clubs could schedule a
day at the Brickyard and drive the racetrack an everything, provided
that the club post the proper liability insurance.  We were going to
organize something, but tragically George passed away shortly
thereafter, and I lost interest in the project.

I still think it would be a neat idea (what could be more Forward
Looking than a trip around the oval!).  Does anybody know the current
policy at Indy, and would anyone else be interested in participating in
such an event?

Henry