Re: [FWDLK] Field Trip to the Indy Brickyard, Anybody?

Henry Tolino wrote:

> Two years ago last month, my late friend Crazy George and I made our
> traditional stopover at the Indy museum on the way home from the Street
> Machine Nationals in Illinois.  To our surprise, a club was out on the
> track, running their cars, having their pictures taken, etc.

> In the 1970's, participants at the Street Machines (then held at Indy)
> were likewise able to circle the track, etc., but it was my
> understanding that the general public was banned in the early 1980's
> (for insurance reasons or something equally depressing).  So, I asked at
> the office and was told that, yes, bona fide auto clubs could schedule a
> day at the Brickyard and drive the racetrack an everything, provided
> that the club post the proper liability insurance.  We were going to
> organize something, but tragically George passed away shortly
> thereafter, and I lost interest in the project.

> I still think it would be a neat idea (what could be more Forward
> Looking than a trip around the oval!).  Does anybody know the current
> policy at Indy, and would anyone else be interested in participating in
> such an event?

> Henry

Been there, DONE THAT. What a great feeling it was to circle the track
at 80+
(well 90+) but they were trying to hold everyone to about 60mph.
The Lady driving the 55 300, myself (57 300-C) and a 63 Avanti got to go
little quick. Swooping through turns 1 & 2 was worth the whole thing.
This was in the 70's Still have fond memories of that experience.

Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's