Re: [FWDLK] Not a Fury, but...

 ---- Joe Mopar <peter_galmish_at_mcrel-denver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello all,
>Thanks for all the information.  I was able to figure out much of what was
 going on with the car thanks to the list.  The car I went to look at wasn't a
 59 Fury.   I am not sure that it was a 1959 car (any tips on how to tell
 this?), but it was a 58-59 Plymouth Savoy 2 door hardtop.
===================

Hi, Peter.  If it's actually a Savoy 2dr HT it'd be '58 or earlier...   ...but
 what you're describing sounds like a 2dr Sedan, which has metal surrounding the
 door glass and an angled post between the door and back seat glass; also a
 small pane of glass at the back that doesn't roll down with the back side
 window.

'57 has long triangular taillight lens going up the middle of the fin, with a
 circular backup light lens (whether so equipped or not) underneath.

'58 has a chrome piece in the '57 taillight lens location with a circular
 taillight lens in the '57 backup light lens location.  '58s w/backup lights
 have a single lens in the middle of the back bumper.

'59 has different fin from '57-'58, and has long oval shaped light clusters on
 either side w/red lenses on outsides and backup light lenses in middle.  '59
 also has scallopy look to front fender headlight brows unlike '57-'58 fenders
 which have flat tops.

==========================

The car had about 90% of its chrome, and was in fairly good shape.  The front
 fenders looked like they needed replacing, and the rest of the body needed some
 work.  It was straight enough that the car could look real sharp.  All the
 glass was in good shape, and the car, as a whole, didn't have too much rust. It
 had a flat head six, and the Hemi that the man was talking about was a Desoto
 firedome w/4barrel and tranny.  The man wanted 1000 for the car, and 1650 for
 the car and extra motor.  I was wondering if this is a good price?  It looked
 like the interior was in good shape.  I am looking for a car a lot like this
 one.  I was wondering if I could get some information on the Savoy:
>      1. How different is the Savoy from the Fury.  (suspension, transmission,
 rear end) I noticed that it had two windows that rolled down on each side, and
 that it looks like the Fury has only one big piece of glass.

========================

Savoy is medium trim level (pre-'59) or bottom of line ('59), while Fury is high
 trim level muscle model.

========================

>      2. Does the L-head six use different motor mounts and bellhousing then
 the fury 318 or 350?

========================

Yes indeed.

========================

>      3. How hard would it be to put in a late 60's 383 or 440 (nothing
 radical), and could the car handle it drive-train wise? My uncle is fixing up
 an old 32 Marlin, and would like the flat head six, and I would rather put a
 newer 383 or 440 in the car as the parts are easier to come by.

========================

If you use the tranny that goes with the later engine you should be okay.  Bear
 in mind the change in emergency brake location mentioned in earlier posts.  383
 will use 350-361 motor mounts as will 413-426W-440.

========================
>      Would anyone be interested in the extra motor and tranny for 650 (what is
 it worth, it was complete - even the carb?

IF IT RUNS that is a more than fair price.  It's probably worth that if it
 doesn't; haven't priced Firedome cores lately.  Bear in mind there are 3 or 4
 different Firedome Hemis; check engine numbers and someone on this list will
 know what it goes to.  Older Firedomes (Fluid Drive/"Tip-Toe Shift") may not
 mate to PowerFlites/TorqueFlites.

Mike Sealey

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com