[FWDLK] Shocking mystery

Hello -

Surprisingly, I'm having a hard time locating the appropriate
rear shocks for my '61 Dodge Lancer.

After reading many positive comments about KYB gas-filled
shocks, I recently ordered a set from one of the better known
mail-order suspension parts suppliers.  The front set seem fine
but the rear set raised the car's ride height by about 1.75".
The supplier insists these are the correct shocks for the car.
Now with the help of my mechanic, I've also tried a set of
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks and another brand of shock (the name
escapes me) with basically the same result:  a raised rear end.

Now I've considered leaving the car be, moving back to my ol'
stompin' grounds in Virginny and takin' up runnin' moonshine
back in the hills.  When its full of 'mountain dew', the ol'
Dodge oughta run jus' right.  But before I go that far I fig're
I'd better look into this a bit more . . .

After some detective work  and with the help of the owner of the
local NAPA store, it appears that the orig. gas shocks I bought
mail order are intended for a Ford pick-up of some sort(!).
This, it turns out, is also what I was sold a few years ago when
I bought the last set of oil-filled shocks:  shocks meant for a
Ford truck.  Very mysterious.  Along the way, I've been told by
some folks that gas shocks are NOT suitable for my car and that
they typically raise the rear of the car.  At this point, I'm
cross checking w/ my mechanic's suppliers to see if the gas
shocks NAPA recommends (#94050; built by Monroe) are different
from what I've all ready tried and might, in fact, be the
correct item.

All this begs the question:  How can it be this difficult to buy
shocks for a '61 Lancer?

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or experience w/
this?  I've considered buying NOS oil-filled shocks and have a
source; does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
gas vs. oil-filled shocks?

Any comments welcome and appreciated.  Thanks in advance -

Charles