Re: [FWDLK] Factory Build Sheets from Chrysler Historical C

Re: [FWDLK] Factory Build Sheets from Chrysler Historical Collection/Foundation

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Ed Katzenberger wrote:

>         I have sitting in front of me, for which I paid $35, the 'build sheet'
> or as it is officially titled the 'Service Car Record' for my 42 De Soto
> Fifth Avenue Sedan. I got it from the Chrysler Historical
> Collection/Foundation.

I received the "Built Record" for my '66 Coronet 500 convertible.  In '66
they used IBM punchcards and what I received was a photocopy of the
microfisched card.  According to one source, the card was created either
by the dealer or the zone office when the car was received.  When the car
was sold, the zone office forwarded the card to Chrysler, which triggered
the warranty.

I suspect the cards may have shipped with cars, because I have found
original cards under the carpet of some cars.  Can anyone verify this?

Anyway, at some point Chrysler put these on fische to save room.  When I
inquired, they had nothing for my '69 Super Bee or my '70 GTX, but I've
been told they have records for just about any pre-'68 vehicle.  I've also
been told by a former CC employee that they are in the process of moving
Chysler Historical and if they don't have your built record, it may just
mean they can't find it right now.

If you'd like to see what it looks like (in '66 at least) check out:
http://www.smike.com/wp27.jpg

It's a pretty big file, but the detail is good.  The boxes that are
punched out correspond to option codes or other data fields.  In column 40
there is a punch in row 4, which relates to option code 404, 3.23:1 rear
axle.  It was delivered to region 74, Denver, dealer 57012, Skyline Dodge,
on 0510, May 10th, 1966.

I'd love to see examples of other records, especially older ones!

smike@xxxxxxxxx