[FWDLK] New to the Mailing List

Hi,

My name is Bruce Smith. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma (definitely Ford and
Chevy terrritory). Presently, I own a 1960 DeSoto Fireflite 2-door
hardtop. Previously, I had a 1963 Imperial and a 1957 DeSoto Fireflite.
The 1960 is a very fine original, unmolested car that I found through a
National DeSoto Club member in Portland, Oregon.

My attachment to the cars of the Forward Look started when I was about
seven years old. The 1957s were brand new, and even to my young eyes,
these were great looking machines. They were everything I thought a new
car should be: dramatic, low, fast looking, and they had magnificent
tailfins. I recall being given a car spotter's guide for that year with
photos of all the 1957 cars built throughout the world. I stared at the
Chrysler cars more than any others, and dreamed.

Then there was the Forward Look name and the wonderful double boomerang
logo that went with it. Though I didn't know what a logo was, its effect
on me was exactly what Chrysler intended. Those two words and that image
meant newness and excitement.

About this time, a 1956 Imperial 4-door sedan pulled into the driveway
one day. It belonged to a friend of the family who was something rare for
that time: a career woman. She traveled selling clothes wholesale to
department stores and needed a great road car. For years, she had driven
only Chryslers. I vividly recall looking up at a massive rear fender and
the gunsight taillight perched on top of it. Then I was allowed to get in
and for the first time sat in a car with air conditioning. The chilled
air in the midst of a hot Oklahoma day was nearly unbelievable. I think
the interior was lavender gray and white. A bond must have been forged at
that moment. Only a Forward Look Chrysler product would do.

If I could have a cost is no object garage it would include a 1956
Imperial Southampton (of course), 1957 DeSoto Adventurer coupe, a 1960
Plymouth Fury convertible, a 1960 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop, a 1960 New
Yorker Town & Country 9 passenger, and a 1961 Imperial LeBaron.

LOOKING FORWARD to discovering and sharing many special things on the
mailing list. Are there any members in this part of the country?

Bruce Smith