[FWDLK] steering boxes

Hello again.
On my 56 savoy. It has manual steering. Are the column and steering box
one unit ?
Mine is pretty well shot. It can't be adjusted anymore. It also feels
like there's high spots in the box and there's about 4- 5 inches of play
at the wheel.

Anyway, I may be checking out a boneyard in Canada next week.

Any good way to check a used steering box. The only things I can think
of is play at the wheel and look and see how far the adjusting screw is
turned in.

Thanks for any input.

Nick