[FWDLK] 56 Savoy - New to list

Hi all! I am new to the list. I live in New Jersey and have inherited a
1956 Plymouth Savoy with a V8 270 or 277 (Can anyone tell me how to
tell?), automatic with pushbutton dash. Interior is perfect, body is
rough (prior rot and bondo)but good chrome. It has fiberglass front
fenders (origin unknown).
This car runs and drives but needs a rear axel and the motor is pretty
well worn and tired. From what I have been able to tell this car has
very little value and is probably not worth restoring to original
condition. I am thinking about swapping in another powertrain
383/400/440 and having some fun with it at the local dragstrip and car
shows.
I have several questions:
1)I have been told that it is basically a "B-body" and that B-body
components (rear end, engine mounts?) would fit, Can anyone confirm
this?
2)Does anyone have any experience with this type of swap?
3)What models would be a good candidate for a donor car?
3)Am I crazy for even considering it?

THANKS,
Scott - 56 Plym Savoy

Thanks in advance