Re: [FWDLK] Seat Belts

"Walter E. Landry" wrote:

> I would like to put seat belts in my 1956 DeSoto Firedome.

> If anyone has any suggestions for what type, where to buy them and any
> tricks on installation please let me know.

> Thanks
> Walter Landry

FIRST AND FOREMOST:

The reason I am putting seat belts in my 300-C is SAFETY!!!!

I looked for awhile. Read and studied some information.

I am going with NEW belts. Now the nice thing is that you can get
older looking hardware in a new belt.  I got the lever release
style buckles from RB's Obsolete Automotive Inc.
Main reason; they were here in town with plenty of stock at the
Hot Rod Nationals, and they had lots of colors at that time.

I got the long (72 inch) ones in TAN to match the leather in my car.

I am looking for the early to mid 60's base clamps for mopar belts
that bolt the belt to the floor.  My 300 body is currently at the
body shop and I have instructed the man that "This Car Will Have
Seat Belts". So he is re-enforcing the proper locations of the
floorpans with this in mind.

I used to work for the phone Co here, as well as raced many years ago.
The point: I distinctly remember that most all safety devices had
a certain life span. Seat belt webbing is one of those items that
should be TRUSTED. I'll trust new versus 30 year old webbing any day.
(As long as it is correctly certified)
Somewhere I read that the webbing should be replaced every 3 years.
I know that the pole climbing hardware and ladder strapping we
used at work was DATED and replaced every so often.
--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy