From:   pop3.webzone.net [SMTP:bsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Saturday, June 26, 1999 6:11 PM
To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [FWDLK] Another Christine in the Making?

Hi Lookers,

The following incident happened this afternoon.

I was polishing the 1967 Imperial Crown Coupe I bought last weekend. My
1960 DeSoto Fireflite 2-door hardtop was parked, as it always is, in the
garage. A side note: the Imperial sits in the drive with a car cover.
There was never any doubt which car got the garage. The Imperial is a
very nice driver, but the DeSoto is an outstanding original example that
deserves and gets only the best. Now back to the the story...

I had walked in and out of the garage several times during the afternoon
and all was normal. After about two hours of cleaning the Imperial, I
suddenly noticed the DeSoto's brake lights were glowing. The last time I
drove the Fireflite was at least two or three weeks ago. Was it possible
the brake lights had been stuck all that time and I had not noticed? I
don't see how. The garage door comes down within mere inches of the rear
of the car, so even in strong sunlight, like today, glowing red
taillights are easy to see, not to mention all the times I have been in
the garage during the past weeks at night or in the evening.

Some of you might now be wondering if I had been in or around the DeSoto
today. All I had done was place the Imperial's car cover, which weights a
couple of pounds, on the rear deck of the Fireflite. No doors, trunk lid,
or anything else have been touched in weeks.

I got the keys to start the car, fully expecting that somehow the brake
lights (some people call them STOP lights) had run down the battery. But
no, the DeSoto fires almost immediately. I tap the brake pedal and run to
the back of the car. Lights are now off.

Does someone, besides Stephen King, have a logical explanation for this
behavior? Or is this the beginning of some serious automotive rivalry?

At this hour I have STOPPED cleaning the Imperial and the DeSoto's lights
remain off.

Bruce in Tulsa, or is it the Twilight Zone?