Re: [FWDLK] Brake lines

Nick & ForwardLookers

[CUT]
>Hello all. What do everyone do when they have to replace the metal brake
>line that goes from the front of the car to the back of the car. I've only
>seen 3 or 4 foot lenghts in the store. Do you get it somewhere special, or

Can't advise on exactly where to buy as am not in USA.  You should be able
to obtain coiled lengths of brake pipe from brake&clutch type stores.

Forgive me if I'm telling you things that you already know but I'm very
interested in brake pipes, fixings/fittings and brake bleeding...

In Europe, and I would think in the States too, modern cars are sold with
cunifer (right spelling?) brake pipes.  Older cars, however, including
'55-'61 MoPars, were originally sold with mild steel pipes.

Cunifer is copper based and so does not rust even if the brake fluid
absorbs considerable moisture.  The metal is very soft and so is easy to
flare and to bend.  Watch out for overtightening.  This is the easiest pipe
material to obtain over here.

Steel pipes, much less common over here, will likely be galvanised on the
outside but they do rust in the long long term.  These pipes are obviously a
little more difficult to bend and to flare.  I paint steel pipes.

3/16 inch is the standard bore but some cars use 1/4 inch in some parts of
brake system.  One of mine takes a 1/4 inch pipe between brake servo and
master cylinder.  Anyone else seen 1/4 inch on MoPars?

You will also have to select between steel fittings and bronze type
fittings.  Steel rusts in the long long term.  Both (but especially bronze)
can get chewed by your spanner/wrench unless brake pipe spanners (tube
wrenches?) are used - especially when loosening.  I always go for steel
bleed nipples - too much bother when bronze twists out of shape or shears
through.

Richard.