[FWDLK] D500-1 What and Why.

Hello Forward Lookers, Judging by my E-mail the D500-1 is still buried pretty
deep in obscurity. In the past every time I tried to describe the difference
between a D500 and a D500-1 I would forget something or find a new difference
the next day! so I am going to try to give a brief (huh) description. After
announcing the D-500 Dodge got much more serious about racing. They set there
sights on making a "Maximum Duty Chassis" available to racers. Without much
thought to what it should be called, but necessary to avoid confusion, they
simply opted for the simple title "D500-1"  Well, Dodge created a ton of
confusion from that point forward the likes of which I have never seen
before. TheD500 got options the Dash One got options some overlapped some
didn't . The maze of parts and options allowed to be mixed and matched
creates a scenario of combinations that seem unending. To figure it out you
may just as well pick up a Rubics Cube. However as the Rubics Cube can be
solved so can the Dash One model. The Dash One cars were (by virtue of
special parts available only in groups) the beefiest and hairiest, many parts
were unique to it alone and still more and more parts were borrowed from the
New Yorker, Imperial, or 300.  The lists of upgrades from the standard D500
is so lengthy and so encompassing that it can only be described as a separate
model. Dodge continued to make addendum's to the Dash One model thru April
56, with the build date of May 18th, 1956 the example I have found has
received the full benefit of this engineering.  The Dodge people had to be
Very Happy with their efforts. The impressive exploits of the Dash One are
summed up nicely by Dennis Kennedy's article in the 10/97 issue of
Collectable Automobile.  Yes, I hope someday to get pictures of my cars on
the net. For me the Forward Look Cars are the Best thing going. Tim Dupont