[FWDLK] '55 Savoy: My problems are manifold

[FWDLK] '55 Savoy: My problems are manifold

Good news and Bad news!

The good news:  the PowerFlow 6 rumbled back to life this weekend.

The bad news:

1)  The previous owner had put band steel around the base of the intake
manifold heat chamber, right at the junction with the exhaust manifold.  He
had glopped on furnace cement too.  It became obvious why -- exhaust is
blowing out here.  After I removed the mess, it looked to me like the gasket
had blown out.  Of course, the exhaust manifold is severely corroded.  What
are the chances a) the exhaust manifold is damaged too, b) if it's not, that
it could be removed without breakage and the gasket replaced, and c) where
might I get a replacement manifold if I do need one?  It would be great if
the thermostat could work too (it's now frozen in place).

2)  I'm getting smoke out of the vent cap and out of a tube on the other
side of the block, towards the rear.  Unfortunately, my shop manual doesn't
go into too much detail about the purpose of either of these devices, but I
have two strong suspicions:  I need rings and/or valve guides (and valves,
of course).  I'm looking for advice on how to conduct a compression check to
further diagnose  the problem; and, I'm looking for a miracle!  That is --
something silly and inexpensive, like a clogged oil pressure relief valve.
(*sigh*)  If anyone has any other ideas on how to encourage my fantasy, I'd
appreciate hearing them.

And BTW, I haven't heard anything yet about why a CH616 ignition wire set
from Borg-Warner doesn't seem to fit (see my post from this morning).

I'm looking forward to having a running forward look...

        adTHANKSvance
        Dan