[FWDLK] thermostats, hot-hot-hot , and how 2 test

[FWDLK] thermostats, hot-hot-hot , and how 2 test

Good info on Tstat posts!
Nobody mentioned a 195 stat tho?????
They are/were not uncommon...
And nobody mentioned pressurized systems- my 41 utilizes no pressure, next
cap is 4#, then about 7#,  and 14 or 16 lbs.  Hmmm just realized I used that
word again- system.  The cooling system designed so all components work
together.
Course the  radiator and complete system has to be able to withstand the
presssure....  adding a 7# cap to a no pressure system could be a problem.
And all the 57 and up carz are 'modern' and use  pressure.
I run a 180 stat in the 41, no problem with the no pressure system.
Use a 195 in my 56, no problemo here either,   it is a 7# cap with cellular
(beehive core) radiator, but the AC cars used 14# and fin and tube!!!!
Similar specs for the 66's but there were three cooling packages so U could
get a designed heavy duty  or AC cooling system.
 P26 and 27 used 195 deg opened and P 28 & 29 used  185 deg opened. However
checking another Mopar reference a 180 degree stat was called out for the
same application....
Remember, these are HEAT engines.  Within limits (caps and underlined?), they
run best when hot.  Even for my 41...
Why hot?  better economy, better performance all around, lower emissions.
Just dont slap a 14 psi cap and 195 stat in that 120,000 mile bargain!
Happy motoring!
L.
PS= seems like as the years advanced it was 'standard' aftermarket practice
to go up one step in stat heat- if a 180 was originally recc for winter, most
went to 195.  And a 160 literally went  the way of high button shoes.
TESTING-
with a closed thermostat, insert a .015 feeler gage into the opening and
suspend  stat in a container with water- the blade should be parallel  to the
face of stat, and U may want to use a bent coathanger to provide
supplementary holding of the bellows or bulb end during the test.  Heat the
water on stove and the temperature of the water when the stat falls (releases
its grip on the feeler blade) is the opening temp of the stat.  If it is
within 5 degrees F of the stamped rating, it is satisfactory for use.   If
temp diff is greater, replace.  This is from a text on automotive engines
service and replacement.  Note your shop manual will probably have a similar
test in its Cooling section.