From:   don dulmage [SMTP:big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Saturday, July 17, 1999 6:07 AM
To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        Re: [FWDLK] Cooling w/alcohol

160 is called a summer thermostat
180 is a winter thermostat be cause in the winter a 160 will not produce
enough heat for the car heater to warm the car.
It was staandard practice to change them out winter and summer until the
195 which was brought in to reduce emmissions  became standard and they
are listed in many parts books that way.
Those of us who live in climates that have both extreme heat and extreme
cold were used to these two stats and it was a normal way of life for us
and considered regular maintainance. 160 is the temp at which engine
wear is signifigantly reduced and fuel economy is increased. The
original testing was done by the Continental Motor Company who
manufactured large numbers or industrial and automotive engines (used in
Kiaser/Frasers for instance) and their charts are often reprinted in the
older automotive trade school manuals. It was not that long ago and
certainly well with in the scope of my career that winter and summer
thermostats were used. I think you might be reading more into this
thermostat issue than was originally intended. By the way the modern 195
stats are too warm for these older collector car engines . The 160 is
right for summer use which is probably all they get anyway. Some
vehicles will operate OK with a 180 in the summer but not all in extreme
conditions. I hope this helps.
DOn DulmaGE
DOn DulmaGE