[FWDLK] Anti-freeze, thermostats, et al

OK, here I go admitting my age!

As a teenager, I worked in a gas station in Detroit.  The first cold night of
every winter, we were swamped with cars that had the anti-freeze evaporate
out over the summer months, or had it boil out because of overheating.  I can
still visualize those nights and the unending clouds of steam!  The 160
degree thermostats were as hot as you dared to run, with alcohol.  One
overheat, and you needed new coolant.  A real pain in the ****.

Along came "Permanent" anti-freeze!  Wonderful!  Cost three times as much,
but you still had protection after a boil-over.  With "permanent", engines
could run hotter and be more efficient, using a pressure cap.

BUT...... The number one, best reason for the 180 degree thermostat and
pressure cap, at least in Detroit, was that THE HEATER WORKED BETTER!!!!  The
car doesn't care, use whichever thermostat you have.  (I vote for 180.)

'nuff sed...

Joe Savard