Re: [FWDLK] Anti-freeze, thermostats, et al

Re: [FWDLK] Anti-freeze, thermostats, et al

-One other point about alcohol antifreeze was its low flash point.  The
stuff ignited with no trouble at all.  The 180 degree thermostat
was just too high.

My father told me of an incident that happened to him during World
War II.  He owned a 1936 Graham Supercharger, and one winter's
night while home on leave from the RCAF he went out to start
the car.  He filled the radiator with alcohol antifreeze (he drained
the engine coolant every night) and began cleaning the snow off the
car.   He apparently went into the house for something and while
walking back out of the house the antifreeze burst into flames.

The flames soared up 3 or 4 storeys in height and burnt the paint off
the hood, firewall, front fenders plus all the wiring and hoses.
Once the fire was out, my father took the plates off the Graham and
onto his brother's 1933 Dodge DQ Six.  This time he watched the
antifreeze a little more closely.

He became a firm believer in glycol anitfreezes when they came on
the market!

Bill