Re: [FWDLK] wheels

I had a set of Michelin radials on a 1955 Cadillac.  On that heavy a car the feeling that I got was that the sidewalls were not sturdy enough for the weight. The only word I can think of is "wallow" to accurately describe the sensation of driving her.

Back in 1969 our neighbors put a set of wide profile radials on their 1963 Sport Fury.  I don't recall what the stock wheels were, maybe 4.5", but the wide meats caused the wheels to flex so bad that the factory wheel covers would fly off.  Wider wheels fixed that problem.

On my 1966 Plymouth I've had both, the radials are a must, the handling is far superior.

Does it matter on radial application whether the car has ball joints or king pins?  For 40 years I've heard some people say that ball joints are superior, other say they just put 'em in because they were cheaper.

--Roger van Hoy, '55DeSoto [in the paint shop], '42DeSoto [won't go fast enough to appreciate radials], '66Plymouth, '73Duster, Washougal, WA